Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Bible ~ Original aired on the History Channel, currently on Netflix.

The Bible ~ Original aired on the History Channel, currently on Netflix.

Starring Robert Powell as Jesus, and Roma Downey as Mother Mary.

Also saw this at WalMart today (6/12/2014) under the same Son of God   (Son of God is a 2014 American Christian movie feature, produced by Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. It was released in the United States on February 28, 2014.   The film was adapted from the ten-hour miniseries The Bible,  which aired in March 2013 on the History channel.)

I must admit, I have more of an open mind than I truly expected myself to have at this point.  And I am so hungry for the Word and the Truth, that I just can’t get enough.  I am watching everything that comes across my scope of purview, and I am reading as much as time will allow.  There are just so many avenues, thoughts, directions, that all need to be looked at. 

I watched the mini-series version of this project.  And the first episode The Beginnings, starts with Noah (Noach) and skips a lot of important stuff, and some of it just isn’t in the depth I would have liked.  However, at the beginning the disclaimer says that it is based on the stories in the Bible, and “tries” to remain true to the spirit of the stories.  AND yes they did.  There were quite a few “embellishments” to make the story flow in movie form, but they did not discredit any of the tales, and I must admit, that Mark Burnett and Roma Downey did an excellent job.  By far, the best movie I’ve seen in quite some time. 

Once I started, I couldn’t stop.  I watched episode 2 on my iPad the next day.  Well I started it anyway.  My husband was trying to listen, and couldn’t see from his chair, so he loaded it on his computer and played it on the big screen.  He was hooked as well.  We made it a Saturday family film fest.  Watching them all by the end of the day.

I would even go so far as to tell you guys, that I made my kids leave the room during the “40 lashes” due to thoughts of the depiction of this scene in “Passion of the Christ”, which I refuse to let my kids see until they are much older.  But I didn’t need to, it was shown, not in it’s fullness and not in it’s full effect, so it was very kid friendly. 


All in all, this was an excellent family oriented telling of the story of the Bible.  One that I would whole heartedly recommend for all ages, genres and orientations.  A great starting point.  And a nice introduction to some of the story I haven’t read yet.  Sampson & Delilah, David & Goliath, Stephen, King Cyrus, this series has me wanted to go through it faster, and I find myself, forcing myself, to slow down and go through The Bible slow and steady.  

No comments:

Post a Comment