Friday, February 20, 2015

God Is Able ~ Priscilla Shirer



YES HE IS!!!!

This is my first encounter with a Priscilla Shirer study, book, article.  One of the groups at church that I tried out one night was reading this book.  I picked up my copy then.  That would have been back in November maybe.  I have struggled with this book ever since.  I made myself finish it this week.  I put it in my pile of daily work, and forced myself to read a chapter each day until I was done.  YEA!!! I'm done.  

Ms. Shirer has taken two verses, Ephesians 3:20-21 and spent a whole book breaking these two verses down.  This book, obviously, was really hard for me to read.  For the first four chapters I kept asking, "when are you going to get to the point".  It was Chapter 5 before I got anything out of the book that I could use.  Chapter 5 asks, "Is there anything you are not vocalizing to God in prayer because you think it's too insignificant to bring up? Is there any issue you feel would be too big a waste of His time to request?"  This was a light bulb moment for me.  We are supposed to be strengthening our relationship with God when we pray, and what could do this better, than by sharing the little things with Him too.  YES, He is already aware of them all.  But conversation with Him, requires you to be open about all things, even those itty bitty minute things that only you think you care about.  Share it all with Him, thank Him for it all, praise Him for it all, and ask Him anything, He won't say no, unless you ask, and He might just say Yes!!

Later on in the book, Ms. Shirer explains that God will only give you what you can handle.  This was a great visual for me.  If you only have the capacity to store a thimbles worth of God, then He will only give you a thimbles worth of Himself.  If you can only handle a bucket load, then you will only get a bucket load.  So come to Him with the capacity for more of Him, and He will give you more of Himself!!!!

There are a few more good nuggets in this book.  So the book is worth the $9.  And I do have to admit that I had just finished teaching a class on the Full Armor of God by Dr. Larry Richard, in which he totally breaks down Ephesians for us, so I am probably not "open" to the dragging of the two verses in this book.  It came across more as a novel, and not like what I expected.  I suspect that the right brain's would like this book, much more than my left brain did.  

So, overall, for me, I have to say, I'm neutral on this one.  Not a bad book, but not a great one either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment