Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Out of Gas?

I heard a guy on the radio this weekend, as we were flying down the road on the way to Little Rock for our Pastor's retirement ceremony from the Arkansas Army National Guard.  I wish I had gotten his name so that I could credit him correctly here.  IF anyone knows where this came from please let me know and I will revise this post to show proper credit.

The story he told just answered a whole lot of questions that I know some people have.  The man spoke of an airplane reported in the news (this part is true I think) that was left running, as the pilot got out of the plane, he hit something (I have NO clue how plans work guys) and the plane began to move, and took off by itself.  (Okay, this sounds a little crazy, and implausible)

However, the plane was flying along just fine for a while by itself, until it ran out of gas and crashed into the ground.

The Pastor on the radio used this as an analogy to answer the question/statement:  "I have always had good things happen to me, why do I need Jesus?"  He explained that we can go a long time sometimes with nothing bad ever happening to us, this doesn't mean it's all okay.  At some point, without Jesus, we WILL run out of gas, and crash to the ground.  AND even an atheist will cry out "Oh God save me!" as he's crashing to the ground.

I just loved what this man said, it just made so much sense.  And just because we have Jesus, does not mean that bad things won't happen to us.  It just means that we have someone on our side when they do.  Jesus has our back, and gives us comfort, guidance, and love, so that no matter what does happen, we have the tools to handle it.

I'm reminded of the movie God's Not Dead that came out last year.  The scene:  A son and his mother.  He says: "I don't even know what I'm doing here.  It's not like you even know who I am.  You prayed... and believed... your whole life, never done anything wrong.  And here you are.   Your the nicest person I know.  I am the meanest.  You have dementia.  My life is perfect.  Explain that to me."

The mother, who hasn't said much the whole movie, and what she has said is confused, disoriented, and repetitive, then responds:  "Sometimes the devil allows people to live a life free of trouble, because he doesn't want them turning to God.  Their sin is like a jail cell, except it's all nice and comfy and there doesn't seem to be any need to leave.  The door is wide open.  Then one day time runs out, the cell door slams shut.  And suddenly, it's too late." Then looking at him she says:  "Who did you say you were?"

The Holy Spirit spoke through this woman, and the truth of what she said just sends chills up my arms, even now thinking about it.

I suppose the moral of this story is look at your life, are you one of those that will run out of gas, and cry "God save me" or will you be the one that stays in that comfy cell until it's too late?

No comments:

Post a Comment