Friday, February 13, 2015

Intentionality

in·ten·tion·al·i·ty
inˌtenCHəˈnalitē/
noun
  1. 1.    the fact of being deliberate or purposive.

  2. 2.    the quality of mental states (e.g., thoughts, beliefs, desires, hopes) that consists in their being directed toward some object or state of affairs.


This is absolutely my "NEW" catch phrase, buzz word, go to thought.  You name it.  


I'm participating in several studies through my church and on-line, and I keep hearing this word over and over.  


Mark Gungor, in Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage, "intentionality".  He doesn't have a great relationship/marriage because it just is, it's because he has intentionality of purpose in ensuring that his wife is loved, and that his marriage is great.  


Mark Virkler's, 4 Keys to Hearing God's Voice.  Some of us can't just hear God talking to us, some of us of to "intentionally" work at it.  


In Acts it says that Paul learned to be content, not he had prayed for contentment and God granted it to him, but that he learned it.  This indicates an intentionality in purpose to "learn". 

In my Monday class, Fight Back with Joy by Margaret Feinberg, we are learning how to find Joy, and utilize Joy.  But I have noticed that some in my class just don't see that they have Joy in their hearts.  They have suppressed it.  Some have even drowned it without realized it.  


Gifts of the Holy Spirit

I Corinthians 12: The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all. To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing. 10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages. 11 All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.

Fruits of the Holy Spirit

Galatians 5:22-23 tells us, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patiencekindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” The fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of the Holy Spirit's presence in the life of a Christian.


When we accept Jesus as our savior, when we believe that His truth will save us, and restore us, and deliver us from evil, He infuses us with the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit indwells us, and remains in us.  He guides us, and convicts us, and loves us completely.  He also gives us the gifts listed in I Corinthians 12.  We don't all get all of these gifts, we do not all get the same gifts, but we do get gifts.  

AND MORE... if we ask.  I wondered for a long long time why I didn't "know" like other people did that I was filled by the Holy Spirit.  I wondered why I couldn't hear God.  I wondered if I was just going through the motions.  I joined my daughters confirmation class, because I hadn't had that opportunity as a 6th grader.  A grown adult sitting in the corner with 22 6th graders.  It's quite funny looking actually.  But I'm learning quite a bit about the history of our church, and about Methodism, John Wesley, and a bunch of other things.  This class breaks down the Apostle's Creed and dives into certain parts of it each week.  Our Pastor's wife, Allyson leads the class.  And she told the kids one day, that the Holy Spirit is in all of us, but to get the gifts, we have to ask Him for them.  We have to ask Him to turn them on, we have to ask Him to come alive in us, we have to surrender to Him, listen to Him.  THIS we have to do "intentionally".  It doesn't just happen.  

God created us with free will, the freedom to choose.  God wants us to come to Him, to surrender to Him, to seek Him.  Not just once, but always, often, daily, every minute of every day.  In order to do this, at first you have to have intentionality. We can choose and accept, believe, surrender, but He doesn't take over once we do this one time.  We have to intentionally keep doing this over and over and over.   

I have been told that if you do something every day for 30 days it will become a habit.  How is one to do something every day for 30 days?  They must intentionally think about it, they must intentionally remind themselves to do it, they must persist with intentionality!!

If I intentionally seek the Lord every day, He will intentionally be with me every day.  In order to use the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I must intentionally ask Him for these gifts, and intentially use them.  In order for the fruits of the Holy Spirit to be mine, I must intentionally as the Holy Spirit to plant the seed of that gift, and then I must intentionally water that seed with the Word, and nurture that seed, with intentionality in order for it to grow.  


There are many great and awesome sites and blogs that can help you cultivate your gifts and your Joy with intentionality:





These are just a few to help you get started if you are lost and unaware of the Fruit of Joy that God has given you.  I would also recommend that you talk to someone, ANYONE, that will listen.  I am more than willing to talk with you.  I am not a therapist, psychologist, or licensed anything.  But I can be a friend if you need one.  jrpodgurski27@gmail.com. 

AND I recommend Fighting Back with Joy by Margaret Feinberg.  Go to her website, and sign up for her daily emails.  SHE is an awesome and inspiring lady, who has overcome a lot, through Joy.  She has daily inspirational emails that almost always are something I need to hear.  AND as always, knee-mail to God, talk with Him, build your relationship with Him.  Talk with Him, He will respond.  Sometimes He will yell in your head so loud you can't focus, if you just let Him.  

INTENTIONALITY:  doing something deliberately, with purpose, repetitively, in order to achieve an outcome or state of mind.  


No comments:

Post a Comment