Sunday, November 13, 2022

Vayera, Torah portion for 12 November 2022

 Vayera, Torah portion for 12 November 2022

Gen 18:12 "Therefore Sarah laughed within herself..."
Not out loud, but to herself, and He knew. When doubting the LORD He asked "Is any thing too hard for the LORD?" (14) And no, nothing is too hard.
Gen 18:21-22 "I will go down now [to Sodom} and see wheterh they have done altogether according to the cry of it... and the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom".
The LORD told them He would destroy the city, and they went anyway. Were they wicked to the core? Or filled with unbelief? Did they doubt the LORD would do as He said He would?
Gen 19:8 "Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing: for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof."
Were his daughters not under the shadow of his roof?
Gen 19:12 "...bring them out of this place:" 13 "...we will destroy this place..." 15 "... arise take thy wife, and thy two daugters... lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city." 16 "and they brought him forth, and set him without the city." 17 "Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain..."
After being told numerous times, they picked up Lot and his family and set them outside the city. And Lot still didn't want to go.
Gen 21:5 "And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him."
I'm 54, and don't want to fathom the possibility of having a child now, much less at 100.
Gen 21:18 "Arise, lift up the lad [Ishmael], and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation."
Again, Ishmael is important to the whole story, and we've not seen the end as of yet.
Gen 20:12 "And yet indeed she is my sister."
Fearing for his life, Abraham, yet again, let someone take his wife as their own. I pray that when I am 100, I've learned not to fear.



No comments:

Post a Comment