Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Confession (Continued)

First Epistle of Saint Paul to Timothy
Chapter 6 Verse 12
Douay-Rheims

[11] But thou, O man of God, fly these things: and pursue justice, godliness, faith, charity, patience, mildness. [12] Fight the good fight of faith: lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art called, and hast confessed a good confession before many witnesses. [13] I charge thee before God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who gave testimony under Pontius Pilate, a good confession, [14] That thou keep the commandment without spot, blameless, unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, [15] Which in his times he shall shew who is the Blessed and only Mighty, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;


Yes I am still very much on this concept of confession.  Whereas, my very dear Catholic friend and I disagree at the moment.  I am duty bound to myself to seek out all sides and investigate a topic completely before I will be done with it and let it go. 

So I have found this verse, and as any should, have copied the surrounding supporting verses to go with it.  Anyone can take a verse by itself and make it say almost anything you want it too.  But if you read a verse in it's context, you can see what is meant by that verse.  As best as anyone can anyway. 

This passage lends more credence to the concept of confession than the one that I previously discussed.  This passage indicates, again to me, that confession is necessary.  But the "before many witnesses" totally nils the concept of in a vestibule with only a priest.   Many witnesses??? Does this mean that one must shout his sins to the whole of the world? There just isn't enough here in this passage to define the concept of confession, but does lend towards the notion that it's a good thing to do.  

I'm not trying to sway anyone here, just ejecting from my mind, those things that keep me awake at night.  Looking for some feedback if anyone is out there.  

JP

No comments:

Post a Comment