Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Confession


John 
Chapter 20, Verse 23
Douay-Rheims Bible

[21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.[22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.[23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

It has been said to me that this is the place in the bible that it is told to us that we are to go to a Priest, so he can hear our confession, and thus be forgiven of our sins. 

If you read the whole thing.  

As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 

He breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.  

Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.  


Yes I concede the possibility that could be interpreted this way.  However, what exactly did Christ do while he was among the people?  My recollection, (and I admit I am no expert) of the stories of Christ, are that he walked amongst the people, laid hands on them, forgave them their signs and they were healed.  Almost always, he forgave them their sins, and they were healed.  

It never said, Christ heard their confession, and then forgave them their sins.  


So I'm not really sure where the idea of confession comes out of this, since the literal interpretation of these three verses is:  GO DO WHAT I DID.  

GO DO WHAT I DID.  


Footnote added 6/10/2014:   Why would God, or Jesus, need to hear confession?  Did they not already know the sins that they were forgiving?  


No comments:

Post a Comment