Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Secrets of Mary Magdalene


Found this movie on NetFlix.  

There is apparently a lot of controversy of the story of Mary Magdalene.  In this movie, I found no new insight on my journey.  But thought...  I haven't talked on Mary at all, so let me recap what I know, and the focus of the movie for you. 

1.  Mary is a prostitute, a whore, that was healed by Jesus, and she became a follower. OR

2.  Mary was not a whore, (confused with a different Mary) and was just a follower of Jesus. OR

3.  Mary was Jesus "secret" lover.  OR

4.  Mary was Jesus wife, and the mother of his children.  OR

5.  Mary was one of the apostles.  

I think that covers the options in this movie. Mention was made that the Church portrayed Mary as a prostitute/whore, so that:

     a.  To give women someone they could relate to, and know they could be saved, the "image" of the Mother Mary is not one we can live up to.   OR

     b.  To keep women out of the clergy, or other positions of power,  OR

     c.  To assist in hiding the Holy Grail (Mary and her children)  

There are simply too many options here, and not enough information. 

The movie ended, saying that Mary has been who she needed to be when she needed to be it.  AND that is just not definitive enough for me.  I shall do some delving deeper on this subject when possible, and keep you informed as always.  



       


No comments:

Post a Comment