Friday, December 26, 2014

Yeshua - A Guide to the Real Jesus and the Original Church ~ Dr. Ron Moseley



I've had the book on my "to read" list for quite a while.  And quite frankly, I think I should have read it a lot sooner.  

This was a very informative book with lots of good information, that opened my eyes to a lot of things, that I hadn't been privy to prior, and answered a few questions.  

Contrary to my first thought, the "rift" between Judaism and Christianity, was not some "HUGE" blow up, it was not "ONE" thing that caused the separation, or the hatred.  There were many many many instances where one side and or the other side did things to perpetuate, instigate, and make the rift wider, and more permanent.  

Another thing I wasn't aware of, prior to Christianity, there were massive multitudes of pagan gods, dieties, religions (yes there still are) but "BUT" there were also different branches, sects, and cults within Judaism.  I guess I figured this, but just didn't realize it until reading this book.  Yes I've read about the Pharisee's and the Sadduces, the Shammaites, and the Hillel's...  but it never sunk in that these were different "branches" of Judaism.  They all had their different belief''s, interpretations, and traditions.  

This book was chock full of good information, and I recommend it to everyone that is on the journey that I am on.  

I do want to share the conclusion chapter of this book with you.  It is quite short, and sums up the book nicely, HOWEVER, please get the book and read it, there is so much good stuff in this book that is not covered in the summary.  


"Conclusion

The following eight conclusions of the preceding examination are not meant to be exhaustive, but include only the most significant areas covered in the text:

1.  All of the evidence from the earliest period of Church history is both homogeneous and Jewish.

2.  The methods and techniques utilized in this analysis are very different from earlier research, which was often done without the latest archaeological finds and without taking into account the Hebraic background of the Jerusalem Church.  

3.  The extant manuscripts of the early Church point convincingly to its Jewish roots.  

4.  The original language, idioms, customs, organizational structure, religious practices, and Scriptures of the early Church were Jewish.  

5.  Records confirm that the first fifteen pastors of the original Jerusalem Church were Jewish. 

6.  The earliest song book used by Christians, known as The Odes of Solomon, accentuates the fact that Christianity was not only born alongside of, but within the matrix of Judaism.

7.  The ninefold purpose of the Law and its many references in the New Testament and among Christian writers throughout history, argues against many of the misconceptions that have hindered accurate study of the Jewish origin of the Church. 

8.  An accurate understanding of the proto-rabbis and the Pharisees, along with their background in the Second Temple period, makes their influence on the early Church undeniable."


That summed up, but does not give the book it's full credit.  The whole chapter on idioms was brilliantly enlightening.  I've always said that 2000 years from now no-one will understand that "go fly a kite" does not literally mean go fly a kite, but means "get lost" "buzz off" "leave me alone" "go do something else as unproductive as your doing", so I knew without a doubt there was stuff that we just wouldn't understand the true meaning of from back then.  And this book listed only 10, but it was 10 big ones, that was very enlightening, and helped me to feel confident in my assessment.  

I think the biggest one had to do with plucking out your eye if the eye sins, so that it doesn't cause the whole body to sin.  Without knowing the Jewish and Rabbinic parables of 2000 years ago, it is impossible to know what certain sayings meant.  And with the Jews and the Christians working so ardently to separate themselves from each other, in such ways that it's impossible to come back together, both sides miss something important in the translations.  Pluck out your eye, simply meant, nip the thought in the bud, before it festers and grows to be something horrid.  What an eye opener... no pun intended.  

I think it's on us all to learn both sides of this puzzle, and pull them together.  Jesus never meant for there to be two separate religions.  He came to fulfill the prophecies of our Old Testament, to complete them, and bring the salvation that was foretold.  What man has done with the knowledge that Jesus brought breaks my heart.  And I will forever do my part to spread the truth of The Way.  







No comments:

Post a Comment