Friday, March 11, 2016

Random Little Tidbits ~ January 29, 2016





"How can we avoid Pulling Scripture out of Context?
* Read the full chapter of full section of verses surrounding it.
* Ask: Who is speaking? To whom? What is happening?
* Read the passage in various Bible translations. 
* Consult a Bible commentary to learn more about the setting, situation, and cultural clues.
A great example: In some translations (like ESV), God tells Israel in Amos 4:6, "I gave you cleanness of teeth," which we might take to mean the Lord is blessing Israel with oral health. Other translations clarify that "clean teeth" is a cultural way of saying "Igave you empty stomachs" (NIV) or, "Igave you absolutely nothing to eat" (HCSB). What a difference a little context makes!"
This is from Open Your Bible: God's Word is for You and for Now by Raechel Myers and Amanda Bible Williams.




I must tell you guys… God is Good!!!!
This morning as I am reading:
“God Can Deliver
In times of crises, it’s easy to feel like God can’t deliver. To bolster your faith, consider these biblical accounts of when God delivered His children from their afflictions.
In 1 Samuel 17:37, David knew he could defeat Goliath because God had already saved him from a lion and a bear.“
Joyce Meyer: Promises for Your Everyday Life – a Daily Devotional
This message pops up in my Daniel Plan class group.
“If you have been visited by discouragement this week, don’t let it stand in your way! God is ready to go before you into battle on your behalf! Remember David defeated Goliath with just a sling and a stone. David did not have victory because he believed in himself. He had victory because he believed in God! " This is the Lords battle" ~ Michelle Johnson
This was just what I needed this morning to overcome a hurdle from yesterday. And them coming at the same time, was without a doubt God speaking directly to me. God told me very clearly that I will overcome! I really thought He was speaking just to yesterday, but I now know that He was ALSO giving me the tools I would need to overcome other issues this afternoon.
Thank you, Jesus, for your love, support, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment