Saturday, April 30, 2016

Being United Methodist ~ J. Ellsworth Kalas




This book was done by one of the life groups at church.  I saw a friend reading it one day, and decided I needed to read it as well.  

I have been a Methodist for a wee bit over 2 years now.  Joining that particular church, not because we believed what they believed, but because we felt the Spirit in our souls telling us that this church was our home.  We had no idea the doctrines that this church adhered to, nor any of the history behind it.  We did know that they recite the Apostle's Creed, but do they believe it all? part? recite it because of habit or tradition?

I believe that many people that come to church do so this same way.  And honestly never know what those around them believe.  They just come to church because they think they are supposed to. 

I am not one that can do that.  I go to church to spend time in worship to God.  And in fellowship with other Christians.  

I know what I believe as far as doctrine goes, and honestly, I don't think there is a "church" out there that matches me 100%.  Methodism however, as long as you "think, speak, and live according to the method laid down in the revelation of Jesus Christ" the theology and doctrine is pretty much left up to you.  And differences of opinions are ok, as long as they do not conflict with scripture. 

This book, gave me a much appreciated insight to the birth and growth of the Methodist movement.  A new found appreciation for the denomination that I am a part of.  And a much needed healing to some concerns that I have had. 

So many people that you come across have this huge awaking moment of coming to Christ.  I don't have that.  And reading this book, Charles and John Wesley didn't have that either.  That helped me a great deal, knowing that even though I came to Christ late in life, and I have a more open mind about scripture than most, I am not alone.  And my "Come to Jesus" movement happened over time.  And that is totally okay!

That's it for this one guys, I loved the book, and recommend it!  And if you're not Methodist, find the history of your denomination, and do their doctrines match your own?

Shalom!




No comments:

Post a Comment