Saturday, May 23, 2015

12 Keys to Enjoying a Healthy Life Now ~ Joyce Meyer



I'm torn in two as to what to say about this book.  

First off, I enjoy the work of Joyce Meyer.  I am getting so very much out of implementing the advise she has given me in her book Battlefield of the Mind. 

You see, I have struggled with weight issues ever since I started birth control pills at 19.  I have long since stopped the pills.  Had two kids.  Lost most of the weight.  BUT then, I stopped smoking last February (2014), and no matter what I did, the weight just started to add back on.  I am almost as big as I ever was, and it's, quite frankly, depressing.  

In July of 2014, my husband, (at my request) got me a membership to the gym.  I went regularly until March of this year.  I felt so much better after working out, but alas, I lost no weight.  I've tried supplements.  Walking.  Strength training.  I cut sodas.  Added water.  LOTS and LOTS of water.  I just have had no success.  

When I found this book, at the local used book seller, I was so excited.  I have talked with God a lot about this subject.  Asking for His help, His direction, His advise.  I still feel that finding this book was in a way an answer to my prayers.  

As I was reading this one, I found myself agreeing a lot.  A lot of what Joyce offers is stuff we already know.  Stuff we've heard, done and failed at numerous times.  It's all compiled into one easy accessible place, this is a good thing.  Her suggestion for the 12 keys, pick one option on each set of Keys (there are 5 each, except for the last), implement one of them a week, or slower until you are comfortable, and it's second nature, and then add one of the options from the next key.  And so on.  

My trouble with this... for example, Key 1's 5 option, I already do 4 of the 5.  So do I add the 5th? Or move on to Key 2?  Well, if you move on to the next Key, I wouldn't change anything.  Because after struggling this long, I am already doing one or more of the steps to each Key already, on a regular and consistent basis.  

Joyce tells us that if we just do one in each Key we will be successful.  And I am living proof that is not the case.  I am almost 50, recently quit smoking, recently unemployed, recently married.  My lifestyle is in an uprooted state, and my metabolism is next to nil.  Some say that exercise increases metabolism.  They could be right, I am no medical expert.  But mine... just isn't normal.  

I've been to the doctor, there is nothing wrong with me physically.  

I stated earlier that I cut sodas...  I was drinking 6-8 Dr. Peppers per day.  900-1200 calories a day, CUT them, replaced by water, which is OH so good for you.  That has had NO (read that as NO) affect on my weight.  

There are a few Keys, that I haven't really applied as much as I think I should, and that is where I am now.  So, Joyce, thank you for reminding me, that God can change things for me.  I have asked God to help me on this journey, and I talk to God while I exercise, and many times throughout the day.  I am also "visualizing" my end goal.  I think the power of positive thinking is very much under played in most of us.  And am trying very hard to "shuck" my negativeness, and the "I can't" attitude, and visualizing myself back at my pre-birth control pill state.  My fitter state.  My (not skinny) but Healthy state!!!

So for those two things, I think the book is a good read.  It's going to be a helpful item to keep close.  And an excellent reference book on diseases, stress, and vegetables.   And if anyone out there is struggling with weight too, please let me know.  Would love to talk with you.  

Shalom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment