Monday, April 27, 2015

We Believe ~ Basic Belief Studies for Youth


This is the book that our church uses for confirmation class.  Having come from a non-church based background, and what I had attended was not confirmation based.  I had no clue at all what this entailed, meant, or encompassed.  


In Christianity, sadly, there are many "interpretations" of the Holy Bible.  And MANY MANY MANY more traditions based on these interpretations.  

When Christ died, the apostles waited in Jerusalem until Pentecost, at which time they were filled with the Holy Spirit.  They were instructed to preach "THE WAY" in Jerusalem, throughout Judah and Sumara, and then to the ends of the earth.   Along the road to Damascus, a Jew named Paul was struck with blindness, and after his encounter with Jesus, he preached "THE WAY" to the Gentiles.  

Around 300 A.D., Constantine took over the church, made Catholicism the national religion.  Many pagan groups were "pulled" into Christianity with the promise that they could keep their rituals.  Over the course of several hundred years, of interpretation, misinterpretation, men's twisting the Word of God, many in the Catholic faith were viewed as corrupt.  

As early as the 1200's, the Anglican Church began to form.  Methodism formed from the Church of England.  The Pentecostal church was formed from Methodism.  

In Germany, we have Martin Luther and Lutherism.  John Calvin and the Calvinists.  

From these we have, Presbyterian, Latter Day Saints, Baptists, Southern Baptists, 7th Day Adventists, Salvation Army, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Christ, Assembly of God... Just to name a few.  

All of these denominations have their own interpretations of scripture, and their own traditions that they adhere too.  When traditions are challenged, we wind up with other splits.  So many today.  

All of these churches have sacraments.  The Catholic church holds 7 sacraments in their traditions, whereas the Protestant churches (all the others) hold at least 2.  

The sacraments of Communion and Baptism.  Coming from a Baptist background, I can say in the many years that I was in and out of the church, we did communion ONE time, and I had (honestly) no clue what it was, or what it meant.  I am so thankful that I am in the Word myself now.  I have learned so much this past year.  

Communion:  The bread, broken for us, is Christ's body, broken for our salvation.  The cup, Christ's blood shed for us on the cross.  Eat this and drink this, in remembrance of Him, As often as you can.  

Baptism:  A spiritual death, and rebirth in Christ.  Having our sins washed away from us.  Removing the taint of the original sin.  In the Baptist Church we did this at the age of accountability.  10-13 depending on the maturity of the child.  In the Catholic and Lutheran Churches, this is done at birth.  And then later "confirmed" at the age of accountability.  

I was led by the Holy Spirit to become baptized at age 14.  Again, I really had no clue what this meant.  I was so naive as a kid.  And in the Baptist church we didn't have confirmation, because you learned all those things growing up in the church...  but I didn't.  

In the Methodist church, we allow baptism at any age, by sprinkle, dribble or dunk...  I'm a little stuck in my baptist upbringing and after reading the scriptures, feel that dunking is required.  Although the Diadache (handbook from the Apostles early teaching) says any is ok.  

My daughter is old enough this past fall for confirmation class.  And I asked the teacher if I could sit in the corner of the class so that I could learn too.  I think all adults should do this with their kids.  It was so informative from a novice perspective, and what was taught in class was easier to relate for my child since I had been there to hear it first hand.  

The "We Believe" book is the book used for our class.  And I can't tell you how excited I was every week when it was time to sit down with my child for homework.  This class brought home some information that I already knew, enlightened some things I thought I knew, and filled my head with things I need, to get started on my journey with the Lord.  I wish I had done this one sooner than I did.  




Thank you most gracious Heavenly Father, for your enlightenment, and your humbling me daily.  You fill me, complete me, and love me so completely that I am foolish when I don't realize how special I am to you.  Amen.  




No comments:

Post a Comment